Wednesday, November 10, 2010

News from La Paz

One of the Missionary Moms in my group sent the photo. Inspiring sight (her words) and I definately agree. This is the first picture I've seen with the new Culiacan Mission President -- President Lopez and his wife. Good looking group! Derek didn't say much about the meeting, other than he mentioned talking to the MP and how much he likes him. He said afterwards a few of the missionaries came to his apt... ate all his cookies and left the place a disaster, but it was a good time.

I really liked this story he shared recently... we had a neat experience with a man that drinks. we just were going to ask him a question and he said come in and so we did, and taught him and we came back the next day and he was telling us how his wife had died 10 years ago and that's why he drinks. so we invited him to say prayer and he just started crying and just opened up and then he started saying "thank you for sending these two angels to my house to help me," and he just ended the paryer with a huge smile and he sat there silent, and then said wow, i have not felt like that in 10 years -- we gave him a Book of Mormon and he felt so good he offered to pay us for helping him and we were just like no, this is what we do, this is why we are here. it was a cool experience this week and we found lots more people that are progressing and we hope to have a lot of baptisms in this area. it's going to be a good month. (Since that time I've asked how the work is progressing with this man and Derek said unfortunately he is still drinking - too many friends that come to his house with alcohol and then he said "but we'll get him, it might not be while I'm here but definately a future missionary." I'm glad they are still working with him.)

I asked him to describe the area...
well, by the beach there are all these nice houses and stores but further away is not as nice, its kinda like las vegas. like the same strip, all glam but the reality is that (more inland) are the people that work in the hotels and make them beautiful... they work a full day for like 10 dollars a day, to think we take 10 dollars an hour for granted - they make 70 a week. but they are really nice and loving here and i love the area. we will be coming back here ha ha

In Monday's e-mail he ended with "so the MP decided he's going to make some changes and one of them is our christmas call will get two hours this year, two hours! i'll be home two days later, what am I going to talk about for two hours? ha ha" I'm sure we'll come up with something, but even two minutes is good -- "Hey Derek, we'll be waiting at the airport with your heaviest winter coat, gloves, hat and lots and lots of hugs!!!!!"

No comments: