There were a few little video clips on the thumb drive Derek last sent home. His camera has the ability to take short clips. I think he takes these little clips for his benefit, not ours, but we sure have gotten a kick out of them. In this one you can't see Derek, just hear him. This was just before Christmas when he was serving in a small town and lived in this little "house of prayer" -- looks like they had an unexpected guest! ha ha, I had to show it to a couple of friends that speak Spanish so they could tell me what Derek is saying. Basically he's telling his comp to not kill it and put it outside -- but notice he keeps his distance just the same, ha ha! I was also told that these trianchula's (sp?) have stuff on their skin that will sting human skin, which is probably why his comp is knocking it around with a broom. Interesting also, that his native comp starts speaking in Spanglish when they get outside. I was also told Derek's Spanish is spot on. That he "sings" his voice perfectly -- a friend from work (who knows Derek) told me "he doesn't sound like a gringo trying to speak Spanish -- he sounds like that real thing!" ha ha, I love it! I told Derek this in last week's e-mail and then half of his response was written in Spanish! ha ha, sheesh! Amazing how far he's come in such a short time (remembering back to when he first got off the plane and didn't understand a word "everyone talks so fast!!!") Good news though, they are having much success with baptisms and he is on Cloud 9!!! Patience (and hard work) is a virtue!
2 comments:
I love the video and so did my kids. They love spiders and we had to watch it three times. Then they said they didn't remember cousin Derek so I showed them some pictures. The fact that no one was speaking English may have been confusing to them.
Yikes! That gives me the heebie jeebies! I hate spiders. Derek and his comp both seem to be taking it all in stride.
I don't understand Spanish, but I hear it a lot at the ranch we work at on Saturdays. Derek definitely SOUNDS authentic to me.
Glad he is doing so well.
Post a Comment