Wednesday, April 7, 2010

"My Sister" by Derek Reid



The following was written by Derek while he was a Sophmore in High School.

My sister and me are good friends. Other brothers and sisters are fighting with each other and complaining to you that their little brother is like a mosquito that won’t go away and just keeps biting at you. Not me, maybe because we are only two years apart and we like a lot of the same music and other things, but what ever it is it keeps us from fighting.

One day I was at school in math class, oh math class it is like being stuck in a torcher chamber with no way out. When I get a text from my sister saying she is bored and she is on her way to come check me out and take me to lunch. I was so exuberated that she was coming to rescue me from math! That is one of the best parts of having a cool sister like mine.

So we are pretty close and we hang out once and a while and we have a pretty good time.

And yes... I actually had Blythe on the check-out list so she could pull out her brother anytime.... and I'm glad she did just that. They always got excellent grades so I didn't have to worry.
Elder Reid's e-mail to Blythe dated 03/29/10:
i am pressed for time but i wanted to tell you how much i love you and you are the best sister in the world! and thanks for saying "the wonderful man you have become" -- sorry, but i have not become a man yet and dont think i will ever til like dad's age! not saying he is old or anything ...... or am i? haha but that is fun and what did you do with the couch? did you put it in my room?! i love htat couch! - you could send it to mexico haha but no, that is cool and that is good you are doing good and loving life - me too haha! love you take care and love life! its amazing right?!......ELDER RIED (yes, he spelled his name wrong! tee hee!) -- It's Reid R.E.I.D... :-)
Both Derek and Blythe are great writers, and I always held on to my favorites. This one from Derek and another one about Moscow Russia (where he hoped to serve) and one about his hair -- I'll have to post later. They are great too! Blythe wrote more matter-of-factly (or more frankly), and also with humor. She once wrote a bit about the ol' faithful 1989 Mazda (the five-speed manual we so graciously handed off to her) with the "date eject button!" - ha ha! That's a classic too! Gotta love FAMILY!

1 comment:

Steven and Blythe said...

I teared up! I love my baby brother so much! I am really anxious for him to get home so I can hug him!