Monday, March 22, 2010

Thoughts on "finding ones self"
















Derek sent us a long letter, the third since he's been in Mexico. We just about had to beg for this one, which is great because it means he's loving his mission and staying busy. I love his letters as he puts more thought into them. So, I'll post bits and pieces of my favorite parts, but not all today -- it would be too long (it's six pages) and as Derek would say - "lufff-it!!"

A nice young man that Blythe works with, said to me when I was training for my 2nd job "the first testimony a missionary finds is his own." Came to mind when I read this part of Derek's last letter...

Hi Mom & Dad, how's it going there in Utah? Sorry for the long wait, I am just so busy all of the sudden with the work of the Lord. I am writing this letter from Guasave Mexico (which is where he still is, just got a new Comp -- another native who has only been out three months). So as you know, Christmas just passed and we just chilled. Never made it down to the beach, but oh well, it was good. Well, alright with no family, ha ha! But ya, and New Year's rang in with me completing 1 year in the mission, that's one year being away - doesn't it just blow your mind!?! It does mine. I can't believe where the time has gone. It's really gone by super fast -- I guess with trying to learn Spanish and the lessons and everything. I now only have one year left. Or, as you put it, 11 more fast Sundays. Sounds way shorter that way, ha ha. OK, so for stories, everyone likes story time! ha ha. So well, to start -- well, I can't think of any right now. But you always ask me what I have learned most in my mission... and I would have to say out of everything "I found myself," not that I didn't know who I was before -- like, who I was -- or, you know, didn't fall into worldly things like drinking, and I always went to church because I knew it was a good thing, and that the church was true, never doubted any of that for a second. But what I mean "I found myself" is that I found what I want to be, why I did all the things I did, what I know I can be. I always knew these things were good things, but never realized how "really" important they are and when you really know, really have a testimony of things -- like Sundays for instance. I always went but never had the mind like "tomorrow is Domingo, I am going lots of mornings, not going to lie, I layed in bed hoping your were sleeping and we were not going to go to church. But now it is my favorite day of the week, where I can forget everything, reflect on the week, how it went and what I want to do the next week different! And I have gained a great appreciation for scriptures too... reading them everyday, you can find grand things in them and just the joy and peace! And I've realized this gospel does more wonders, brings more change in people. I've seen the changes first hand, it's amazing to see -- this gospel completely changes peoples lives. The way they dress, act differently, it's amazing. I would not trade this time, this mission for anything in the world. It's the best thing I could have done and am doing! I would not change it for the world!

Awesome, ay? In this week's e-mail he's quite excited about a couple of upcoming baptisms that look promising. He was very excited about staying in Guasave. He loves it there. He's hopeful for his new Comp to get some baptisms soon. Please continue to pray for Elder Reid, he really does feel your prayers! Love you all! Momma Reidriquez (ha ha) -- next blog will be on how he's found patience and learning to not let himself get "tweaked." :-)

1 comment:

Steven and Blythe said...

He is growing so much and you shoudl be so proud!