(not Derek in the pic, just a fitting picture I found on-line)A mission is a strange experience
It's a trial and a test
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet teaches you the best
They told me this would be the best period of my life
I guess they didn't explain it all too clear
I came out looking for a bed of roses
I just wasn't expecting all the thorns I've found out here
Since I've been out, I’ve never been so happy
I've never been so depressed
I've never felt so forsaken
I've never felt so blessed
I've never been so confused
My mind has never been so clear
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant
I've never felt him so near
I've never been so discouraged
I've never been so full of hope
I feel like I can go forever
I think I've come to the end of my rope
I've never had it so easy
I've never had it so tough
Things have never gone so smoothly
Things have never been so rough
I've never traveled through more valleys
I've never ascended so many peaks
I've never met so many neat people
I've never met so many freaks
I've never had so many ups
I've never had so many downs
I've never worn so many smiles
I've never worn so many frowns
I've never been so lonely
I've never had so many friends
Man, I hope this is all over with soon
Gosh, I hope it never ends
-----
Isn't that a neat poem? One of the Missionary Mom's sent that out last week and it's going in the package we're mailing to Derek this week! I cried when I got to the end. So fitting for the life of a missionary, but also fitting for life in general! It's weird how fast time is flying now. The first six months took forever, now I'm starting to feel like I don't want time to pass too quickly! For him, I mean. I can't think of a more important thing for him to be doing! Derek loves his mission and is very devoted to the work. It's a bitter sweet feeling that's so hard to explain. The tears that fall are different now, they've gone from missing him so much my heart felt like it would burst, to lumps of spiritual gratitude. Still miss him too of course, but that's OK.
I went to court early last week to fight a parking ticket (from parking Lolita in front of the house of all things while my parents were visiting) -- seemed so silly to have to meet with the judge over something so trivial. There were two young men there with DUI convictions, both under 21. One of the boys was sitting right behind me with his mom, and was giving her quite the attitude. She was just trying to find words to help. I just wanted to reach around and hug this mom with her pain filled eyes. I'm so thankful Derek decided to serve! It was sometimes a rocky road watching him get his head there, and it was harder than anything ever to help send him off -- but as I said before, I can't think of a thing more important than what he's doing.
I have some parts of his last two e-mails I need to post -- his sense of humor is shining through! He's just been cracking us up. They have a lot of interested investigators right now -- 16 in fact, he's SUPER busy and asks for your prayers! He needs them. Love to you all!
Momma Reid
No comments:
Post a Comment