
Today’s e-mail came in as a meeting notice through Outlook – is that the sign of brain overload or a stuffed up head?
And it was very short … he’s fighting a head cold again (at least it's not the other end). However, the missionary part of the work sounds like it’s going really well. He really likes the people that they are teaching and they have some upcoming baptisms so he’s excited about that. The language is coming along “alright - still winging it for the most part,” and then throws a “ha ha ha” in there. He’s jealous of our snow and is getting sick of the food already (it’s only been two weeks!… but we all know how Derek likes his food). But he did say: I had marlin yesterday, it is actually alright though but weird ha. Wait, it’s alright but weird? I’m confused. So I’ll assume it’s alright because it was something different -- but weird because it was something different. Dad must have asked if he was drinking plenty of water because he said “we drink bottled water, it’s like 10 pesos so like a dollar - but our dollar is worth 15 pesos right now so its really good." Yay! He’s drinking water!!! "so ya , i am doing good, the sickness is going away so that is good but i love you tons and tons and hope you have a good week. love you -Derek"
And it was very short … he’s fighting a head cold again (at least it's not the other end). However, the missionary part of the work sounds like it’s going really well. He really likes the people that they are teaching and they have some upcoming baptisms so he’s excited about that. The language is coming along “alright - still winging it for the most part,” and then throws a “ha ha ha” in there. He’s jealous of our snow and is getting sick of the food already (it’s only been two weeks!… but we all know how Derek likes his food). But he did say: I had marlin yesterday, it is actually alright though but weird ha. Wait, it’s alright but weird? I’m confused. So I’ll assume it’s alright because it was something different -- but weird because it was something different. Dad must have asked if he was drinking plenty of water because he said “we drink bottled water, it’s like 10 pesos so like a dollar - but our dollar is worth 15 pesos right now so its really good." Yay! He’s drinking water!!! "so ya , i am doing good, the sickness is going away so that is good but i love you tons and tons and hope you have a good week. love you -Derek"
Memories: Speaking of Derek’s love for food… my mom noticed that when they took Derek and Blythe to dinner when they were little – Derek would always look for the most expensive dish on the menu. She laughed when she realized it was because he wanted to make sure his food was not only going to taste good, but that there was going to be plenty of it. When B&D were really little we took them to a little family diner in Layton to eat. We had been working with the kids to look the waiter or waitress in the eye and order their own food (you know, eager young parents teaching their children to speak for themselves). So when asked by the waitress Blythe politely ordered a grilled cheese sandwich. When the waitress got to Derek he spoke up and said “I wanna a BOY cheese hammich!” she looked puzzled (as we all did) and said, “do you mean a grilled cheese?” and he said more firmly, “NO, I wanna BOY cheese hammich!” We all just cracked up when we finally realized he thought his sister ordered a “GIRL cheese sandwich.” Someday I’ll have to tell ya all the Burger King story – it’s hilarious! Only has nothing to do with food.Dream: I had a really vivid dream in the wee hours of the morning Saturday. I just remember Derek was standing in front of me in his missionary clothes and he said “too much of anything in excess is not a good thing mom” (which made me panic about my diet coke addiction) but I mustered out a “does that include hugs?” and with that he shot me his cute little grin and gave me a great big hug! I woke up and told Poppa Reid, “I got a hug from Derek last night!” -- now that’s the kind of vivid dreams I like!
No comments:
Post a Comment