Boy, it’s a trip getting used to having a missionary in Mexico – a country we’ve never been to. Can’t wait to get pictures but that is proving to be harder than expected. He only gets 30 minutes on a computer each week and the e-mail system doesn’t have enough “cybers” to get a picture through.Derek continues to do well, he has a new companion which was bittersweet as he loved his trainer. The new guy sounds great too. I loved Derek’s e-mail to Blythe & Steven this week so I’m posting some of it… we sure miss his sense of humor.
Hola sis y steve,
so i got my package from mom and dad and all the letters that you sent, thank you so much! Oh and your new computer sounds amazing - that is the kind i want when i get home! ha ha - but i am just great and loving it, just learning the language all day everyday. i got a new companion this week, he is from Utah so he helps me with Spanish so thats good! and i am doing good, no sickness. Ya, so i walk a ton and have lost a lot of weight i am guessing like 20 lbs maybe but i don’t know because no scale ha ha. we don’t have any walmart or fast food/ it is a small podunk area of the baja, but it is fun. i am always dirty because the roads are dirt and so its just like dirty all the time but i am getting used to it..... I will look forward to your pictures of Coop the lion - i can only imagine ha ha! i love you tons and when i get back and buy an AR15 me and you and steve are going to go murder some bunny rabbits!!! ha ha! and other stuff, TV’s and all. ha ha ha! love you tons! Elder Reid (Coop the Lion is B&S's puppy above -- sporting his new summer doo!)
Derek mentioned he has been loosing weight but didn’t give me any figures. When I told him I experienced a huge bout with food poisoning from a restaurant in Mesquite last week he said “Oh that sucks mom, but welcome to my world!” In seeing his letter to Blythe, we’ve decided to send him a couple of high calorie care packages – in fact, Blythe is shopping as I type this. Apparently he LOVED getting Easter candy, his words “the candy here is horrible, chile and sugar – that’s all it is!” Chile and sugar??? ay yi yi!
I joined a missionary mom thing that puts you in touch with other moms who have sons serving in Mexico. This has been such a huge help! The weekly stories and e-mails I see are awesome. Some are funny, some are touching and others are just plain cool. It’s amazing what these young men experience. I’ll try to figure out how to attach a link and lump some of my favorite stories together, it would be too long to post them all on here. I’ll try to figure that out soon, they are really neat to read.
Send him a letter, he’d love to hear from you!
No comments:
Post a Comment